Since November 2012 LI activists have been clocking up victories and evidencing what the press has predicted as a pro-libertarian shift in the US, especially on the social side.
- Pot legalization or decriminalization is several states
- Gay and Bi marriage victories are becoming accepted as routine
- Open carry legalization is spreading
- Home school legalizatioon is near complete
- Growing emphasis on whether programs actually work
What is key is more people seem to be citing libertarian or voluntary principles as policy and moral justification. One example:
Americans are turning increasingly libertarian in their social and economic philosophies, a new CNN poll has found.
The poll has tracked American libertarian tendencies since 1993. Sixty-three percent of respondents—an all-time high—said that the government is doing too many things better left to the private sector.
A majority of voters also said the government should not favor any particular set of social values.
Nate Silver at the New York Times notes that this data matches up with a palpable libertarian shift in American political discourse in recent years: